invers Software

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

Three Calamus Wishes

Posted by Tim Harris 
Tim Harris
Three Calamus Wishes
15 years ago

What would make me happier with Calamus? My three wishes would be – a much better way of handling modules. It’s time to end the nightmare! Its impossible to handle more than a handful, at the moment I have just over 40, that’s 40 files to download and unzip and then copy the files into the right Calamus folders, making sure you overwrite the right modules, printer drivers, help files and the rest. Then you have to load them into Calamus (a load all modules function would be nice!) making sure you overwrite all the demo modules and drivers in memory. If you have to do a fresh install it takes about aday! At least you can edit the info file and put them in the right order. Calamus download area could automatically delete all old files? It has never really bothered me that there are few English manuals for the modules or the odd bit of German.

My second wish would be some offers and more info on fonts. In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s I used to send the floppy disk off to DMC UK? And wait for a week to get a printout and then pass it to the printers. Now with modern technology there’s no need I have a Samsung colour laser printer which prints at 1200dpi and cost £269. My wish would be to increase my Calamus font collection overtime and some offers and promotion would help.

My third and final wish is for Calamus to grow its user base, maybe setting aside some time and heavily promoting the software. I do not know how many users there are but I am sure if you asked most magazine editors/writers what Calamus was they would shrug their shoulders and look puzzled! I am sure on the back of the publicity for the Mac version a few more PC versions could be sold. After 16 years of use I am more than happy to recommend Calamus to anyone, if I had some nice presentation folders with a Lite version and a special upgrade offer I would happily give it out to my publishing colleges for them to try. If all the veteran users did this across the many languages and versions then my third wish would come true.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to write about myself and Calamus. I think I am the one of the longest Calamus users in the UK. The reason I am writing is I can’t wait for iCalamus!

I hope the iCalamus will be available to pre-order soon, when it is I will be straight out to purchase my first ever iMac. I have never used one and will be using the release of iCalamus as an excuse to purchase one. I know my PC will run Calamus SL quicker has more memory hard drive space etc but I want to be in at the launch with iCalamus as I was with the Atari version. I was one of the first to get the software in the UK, in 1989? And it cost around £700.

Re: Three Calamus Wishes
15 years ago
Hi Tim.

Thank you for writing down your thoughts about Calamus. Let's see what has been solved already:

> a much better way of handling modules. It’s time to end
> the nightmare! Its impossible to handle more than a handful, at
> the moment I have just over 40, that’s 40 files to download and
> unzip and then copy the files into the right Calamus folders,
> making sure you overwrite the right modules, printer drivers,
> help files and the rest. Then you have to load them into
> Calamus (a load all modules function would be nice!) making
> sure you overwrite all the demo modules and drivers in memory.
> If you have to do a fresh install it takes about aday!

It's much easier at all. We already prepared a description how to easily install updates from your private service area. This description has not been translated already, but you might get a first glimpse of how to do.

> At least
> you can edit the info file and put them in the right order.
> Calamus download area could automatically delete all old files?

After you have downloaded a serialized module update for the first time from your private download area, a "Delete" button is offered. Although we recommend to delete old stuff from time to time, most users keep their old module files in their download area. You are free to delete them yourself. The youngest files are listed on top always.

> My wish would be to increase my Calamus
> font collection overtime and some offers and promotion would
> help.

Did you realize already that you can load PostScript Type 1 fonts as well as TTF fonts in Calamus SL, too? Did you ever browse our Font chapter in this web site?

> My third and final wish is for Calamus to grow its user base,
> maybe setting aside some time and heavily promoting the
> software. I do not know how many users there are

Take a look on the login page to your private service area. You will find the current number of registered Calamus users with matchcode there. This number seems to be more realistic than telling you about those approx. 35000 registered users in our customer database. Only active users are users. But the number of active users isn't that low, isn't it?

> but I am sure
> if you asked most magazine editors/writers what Calamus was
> they would shrug their shoulders and look puzzled!

If you know English PC magazines, you could easily help us getting into contact with them. We like to place Calamus SE versions on magazine CDs in order to have Calamus spread. It led to thousands of new registered Calamus users in Germany and Czechia already.

As we cannot know all markets ourselves, your help would be appreciated.

> if I had some nice
> presentation folders with a Lite version and a special upgrade
> offer I would happily give it out to my publishing colleges for
> them to try. If all the veteran users did this across the many
> languages and versions then my third wish would come true.

Take the lite edition from our public download area and show them how to work with it. At the moment, there is still a breath-taking special upgrade offer from Calamus SE to Calamus SL 2003 (full version) - only 69 EUR instead of 649 EUR.

Grüße / Greetings / Groetjes / Salutations,
Ulf Dunkel · invers Software
Tim Harris
Re: Three Calamus Wishes
15 years ago
Any news on when you can pre-order iCalamus?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Online Users

Guests: 1
Record Number of Users: 2 on April 24, 2019
Record Number of Guests: 126 on November 04, 2019

top top

© 1998–2019 invers Software. All rights reserved. | Privacy