Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

StarScreening Module

Posted by Edward S. Baiz Jr. 
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
StarScreening Module
15 years ago
I was just wondering if someone could give me a run down on
this module. I have been using it with varied results. I tried using it to print out a photograph and the result was
a picture that was way too dark. I just need a fee examples from soneone who has used this module and I think I will be all right. Thanks...
David Barkin
Re: StarScreening Module
15 years ago
Hi Ed

A QUICK and dirty solution is simply to use a curve in CLUT where the darker elements are lowered quite a bit and the lighter ones much less so.

Dave
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Hello Dave,

Nice to hear from hou again. By CLUT, I assume you mean the curve in the Franklin module. I will give that a try.
Thanks for the information.
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Things are still coming out dark or no color, but I think I know why, but I do have another question. After I use the module once and then try to use it again, it asks me if I want to load in a CK4 line linearity file. Is this suppose to happen? It will not do anything else. I usually have to restart Calamus in order to use it again. I know I am doing something wrong here....
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Well I guess I am suppose to load in a CK4 file to get this module working. The question is, which CK4 file do I load in? I would seem I would have to create one somehow.

Things are still coming out too dar when I try to print a photograph. Regular pictures have worked just fine.

Suggestions?
David Barkin
15 years ago
Hi Ed

1. Dump the linearity module. That module has an effect on the results of Star Screening that conflict with other settings.

2. The Star Screening process, when it occurs asks for a chosen conversion liine. My solution is based on a totally neutral CK7 line.

3. I assume you are doing this on an Atari? If you are using a Mac you can choose to use the Photoshop color settings, which are a predetermined CK7 line - meaning RGB to CYMK conversion.

4. DON'T convert to CYMK first - Let the SS module do it.

Dave
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Hello Dave,

Can you give me a step by step process into the use of the StarScreening module? That would help me. I know is it something I am doing. I just want to take a photo or a scan and enhance it, so the printed result is better. Yes, I am doing this on the Hades using an Epson 700 Photo Print and the VDIPrint module for Calamus. Basically, when I tell SS to rasterize my frame, it comes out way to dark. That's with using a photograph (JPG extension). When I use one of the documents that come with Calamus, the resulting SS frame looks fine. It seems maybe I need to convert the JPG photo into something else. Oh, when the SS module asks for a CK4 file, what do I do?

I am not a Calamus expert yet, but I want to be. The way I use Calamus, I just touch the surface. Any help or advice you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks...
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Hello again Dave,

Sorry, I missed your comment in line #2. What do you mean by "when it occurs, asks for a chosen conversion line"?
Do you load in a CK7 file? If so, is that something that I can make or is it contained in the Calamus package?
David Barkin
15 years ago
Well, when you actually push the button to star screen the image, the module is asking NOT for a CK4, but a CK7. The CK7 line is in fact the line that converts to CYMK. GCR, UCR, etc, etc. Meaning how much of your "Black" is actually made up of black and how much is made up of a combination of CYM.I use a strictly neutral line which translates as almost NO CYM black.The linearity module conflicts with this process and adds some changes - thus mu advice not to use it WITH star screening.

I will check my records and see if I have your e-mail address and send you a long article on this.

I'm afraid I've never used the VDI module. Is this a 4 color printer? If so there no reason you shouldn't be able to use the Epson driver that now comes with Calamus.

Dave
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Hello Dave,

My email address is: edbaizjr@comcast.net. Kind of funny that you mentioned that the SS module is asking for a CK7 and not a CK4 because the extension in the file selector is CK4, so I assumed it needed a CK4 file. Does the Calamus package have a CK7 file or do I need to make one? And of course the big question is what module do I use to make a CK7 neutral line file. Looks like to me I would use the Franklin module.

I would love an article on this subject. About time I learned how to use Calamus as it was intended to be used.

VDIprint is not a module. I was incorrect in saying it was as such. It is a printer driver that lets me use any printer that is supported by NVDI to be used in Calamus. That is great except that NVDI has not been upgraded in a while and is not compatible with a lot of today's printers.
I have an Epson Photo 700 ink-jet printer. It uses on black cartridge and one 6 color cartridge. It does a nice job except that it is slow.

What printer driver do you use? I am hoping for a USB port card for the Hades. It is suppose to be in the works. This would open up a lot of hardware I could start using....
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
David Barkin wrote:

> Well, when you actually push the button to star screen the
> image, the module is asking NOT for a CK4, but a CK7. The > CK7 line is in fact the line that converts to CYMK. GCR, > UCR, etc,

Hello Dave,

Ok, I loaded in a picture and started the SS module. SS then the Calamus file selector came up and up at the top it states: "Load CK4 linearity curve?". I then changed the file format to CK7 and found some CK7 files in the Calamus package. I clicked on the one that was labeled "neutral". SS then tells me the file I selected was the wrong file format.

Did I do something wrong?
15 years ago
Hi,

Wouldn't it be easier if you first lighten the image with Franklin and then use the StarScreening module?
Furthermore, I have often had better results with the Dither plug-in of the Filter module..
Also, many printers are not 'fine' enough to represent the very tiny dither-pixels of StarScreening if it isn't the built-in dithering of the printer. They usually print a little too fat.

Success,

- Paul Pasveer
15 years ago
Hi Ed.

After I read the current thread about your question, I wonder if you did already read the according manual for the StarScreening Pro module - it gives some more answers to your questions (and indeed it answers the mysterious question of "CK4 or CK7 - that is the question"):

[www.calamus.net]

Grüße / Greetings / Groetjes / Salutations,
Ulf Dunkel · invers Software
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
I guess I could try lightening it with Franklin, but the manual does not mention it. If all else fails, I will give that a try.
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Hi Ulf,

Are you talking about the part about using the "Use no control curves" option.
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
15 years ago
Edward S. Baiz Jr. wrote:

> I guess I could try lightening it with Franklin, but the >manual does not mention it. If all else fails, I will give >that a try.

Actually that did work except the question is, how much do I brighten it? The only way to find out is to print out a sample and decide whether or not it is ok.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Online Users

Guests: 1
Record Number of Users: 2 on April 24, 2019
Record Number of Guests: 126 on November 04, 2019

top top

© 1998–2019 invers Software. All rights reserved. | Privacy