Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

MagicMacX/calamus sped

Posted by Roger Jönsson 
Roger Jönsson
MagicMacX/calamus sped
16 years ago
Hi,

I have Just moved to Calamus2003 and OSX (from OS9) and have some questions about the speed.

Testing around everything feels 3-5 slower (opening documents, zooming etc).

Is this due to MagicmacX has a harder time emulating 68000 on this system, or is not optimised yet, anybody know?

Would buying a better graphics card for my G4 400MHz make a change or is general speed more directly dependent or processor speed/power?

Is the Windows version of Calamus today a much faster and maybe better choice?
Re: MagicMacX/calamus sped
16 years ago
Hi Roger.

> Is this due to MagicmacX has a harder time emulating 68000 on
> this system, or is not optimised yet, anybody know?

Yes. MMX brings its own 68k emulator as OSX does not offer one. And the MMX 68k emu is interpreting, not compiling or caching, as far as I have understood the technical background of it.

> Would buying a better graphics card for my G4 400MHz make a
> change or is general speed more directly dependent or processor
> speed/power?

The MMX speed depends on processor speed.

> Is the Windows version of Calamus today a much faster and maybe
> better choice?

SL2003 on Win2000/XP with 2.4 GHz and more is much faster than SL2003 on MacOS X with 400 MHz of course. My G4 has 700 MHz only and I plan to get me another G5 with uptodate processor speed.

Grüße / Greetings / Groetjes / Salutations,
Ulf Dunkel · invers Software
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

I had an 867 Mhz dual processor Mac. On this machine Calamus ran about the same speed as it does on my Hades. My older Mac, 450 Mhz G4, ran Calamus under system 9.1 as was much faster them my Hades.

I just purchased a 1.25 Mhz Dual processor Mac and Calamus now runs faster then on the Hades in most, but not all respects.Printing by the way, is quite fast, although it take a while to draw the page if it's very complex. A few seconds for normal files.

I suspect that MagiCMac does not make use of the dual processor, independant of other aspects of the question - If it did, it would probably run much faster. I test this by turning the dual processor off and on and that has a rather dramtic effect on programs that are multi-threaded and none on programs that can't take advantage.

Dave
Roger Jönsson
16 years ago
Hi, Ulf, David,
Thank you for your answers.

1.How much processor speed would you think would be needed from an average G4Mac, to match a mainstream Pentium 2.4GHz?

2.Would upgrading to OSX 10.3 help Calamus speed?
Does Magic run without problem under OSX 10.3?

3.To improve printing speed, what should I think of when looking for a new laser printer? Is postscript capabillity an advantage at all for Calamus?

MacOSX+printer OKIpage 14ex (4M memory) takes "forever" (compared to OS9) to print after Calamus is finished with it. If it is printing multiple copies of a document by its own it can't seem to print faster that 2 prints/minute. The same document printed under OS9.2, resulted in 12-14 copies/minute!
4.Why is that, is it because of OSX handles the data non efficiently?
Sloppy OKI OSX version of the driver?
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

I can't answer your question about a Windows machine. Never had one...

Why don't we set up some parameters that I can respond to?

For example - It took about 10 seconds for Calamus to draw up a page that was a 70K mixed text and vector file. Actual printing took another ten seconds.

For an 83 Meg Star Screened Image, 16 by 20, it takes about 15 minutes to draw the page.

The actual printing of files, once the page is drawn is about the same, at least on small files as running Acrobat Reader and printing the file. I've never tried printing a 80 Meg files from Acrobat.

I have an Epson Printer - the 3000. If you give me some tests that I can run I will let you know how they go.

I use GIMP PRINT because it allows me to print Star Screened images while the native Epson drivers do not.I have printed small files with the native Epson driver and it seems to worik fast enough.

GIMP PRINT has drivers for almost any printer on the market.

As far as opening files and zooming around, Calamus with my machine is faster then on the Hades. It's slower in Star Screening an image. But with my new machine even that difference is very small.

For example:

16 x 20 image at 720 dpi takes 35 minutes on the Hades, 1 hour and 5 minutes on the 867 machine and 40 minutes on the 1.25 machine.

Under System 9, 450 Mhz G4 it took 15 minutes to SS the same image.

I would suspect that the graphics card effects zooming and moving while Star Screening is strictly from the processor.Loading a filke is much faster on the 1.25 machine then the Hades

Dave

DaveRoger Jönsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Just moved to Calamus2003 and OSX (from OS9) and have
> some questions about the speed.
>
> Testing around everything feels 3-5 slower (opening documents,
> zooming etc).
>
> Is this due to MagicmacX has a harder time emulating 68000 on
> this system, or is not optimised yet, anybody know?
>
> Would buying a better graphics card for my G4 400MHz make a
> change or is general speed more directly dependent or processor
> speed/power?
>
> Is the Windows version of Calamus today a much faster and maybe
> better choice?
Roger Jönsson
16 years ago
Hi,

Generally my files aren't that complex.
Its generally datasheets with a few bitmap pictures and some text or a layout for some B/W frontpanels with some text, lines etc.

When printing with b/w screened Calamus/macprintX it is finished in 5-10s. After that i takes atleast __30s extra__, before the printer starts. So the slowest part is AFTER Calamus finishes.

These 30s are true even for an empty document, so there must be something in either OSX or the (OKI 14ex) printer driver that is rotten!!! -In OS9 the delay was just 2-4 second before printing the same b/w screened document with the same printer!

Any one know if this is due to OSX handling of the file or the OSX (OKI) printerdriver and if another laser-printer would make it react faster? Printing a tiny document in Acrobat reader also takes between half and a full minute,
I can easilly upgrade my processor of the Mac to speed up Calamus, but if the printing delay is better cured by a new printer and/or OS10.3, then I would try that our first.

1.What delays after calamus finished the printing of an empty document are you having (laser printer), less than 30s?

What would be a good ideea:
2.OS10.3 for faster printing than 10.2?
3.New laser-printer?
4.Does a postscript capable printer help?
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

I have just recieved Panther from Apple. I intend to install today or tomorrow. I'll get back to after I do so and we can continue the discussion.Apple claims that Panther is much faster the Jaguar - I shall find out.

I will just say that I generate PDF files from Calamus and print them direct and then print the same file from Acrobat - Seems about the same. Of course, as I said these are small files. I will not try printing a PDF of an SSed image from Acrobat because I gave up on masochism quote a while ago.

Dave
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

I've just finished installing Panther - Here are some numbers

I should say, not being very clever, I realy didn't run to many tests with Jaguar - But here's what I have

1. With Jaguar Tiff files seemed to load quite fast - Certainly the time was not objectionable. With Panther it seems faster

31 Meg TIF file - 10 Seconds
Same file converted to high quality JPEG - 1:35

Zooming in on complex Vector File -

Hades - 8 seconds
Panther - 9 seconds

Star Screening 16 x 20 135 Meg Tif

Jajuar - 42 minutes
Hades - 35 minutes
Panther -32 minutes

I will do some tests on printing and let you know.

Dave
Roger Jönsson
16 years ago
Hi Dave,

Great to hear that it runs on 10.3 too.

I don't understand the printing problem. MacprintX seem to make correct data, should it be so hard for the driver to send it un-altered to the printer... Grrrr!

You say you are using Gimp print.
Maybe it is more exact in printing compared to my OKI14e-OSX-printerdriver, solving my distorted raster issue.
What do you feed it with, pdf, tiff?

Do you know anywhere I can find instructions in english on how to install and use it? Is there a special OSX build? I don't know much unix at all.
Roger Jönsson
16 years ago
Hi Dave,

I Found the Gimp-print-OSX page...
Andreas Kromke
16 years ago
>I suspect that MagiCMac does not make use of the dual
>processor, independant of other aspects of the question -
>If it did, it would probably run much faster. I test this
>by turning the dual processor off and on and that has a
>rather dramtic effect on programs that are multi-threaded
>and none on programs that can't take advantage.

In fact MagicMacX has three threads. One for the system (it is always there), one for the GUI and one for the 68k emulator. Yes, MagicMacX is a true multithreaded program, and it needed a lot of programming to synchronize the GUI thread with the emulator thread.

In practice the GUI task is usually sleeping. It is interrupted by mouse movement and button events, keyboard events, timer events, etc. I am sure MacOS X will use the second CPU if there is one, but it will not have much to do.
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

Some interesting news, sort of. I can't print VERY large files from Calamus at A2 size. However I can't print these files from Photoshop either. So this is not a Calamus problem.

As a temporary measure I made another partition and I'm booting from Jaguar to print. I don't encounter the problems that you have. Small files print very quickly and once the dialogue closes the printer starts. In Panther (assuming a letter sized page) it's even faster, but Jaguar is not objectionable. SO you have to look elsewhere for your problem.

Apple was not helpful with the probem with Panther. I note however that they have release an update - 10.3.2. The literature says that it improves USB printing. I'll install it tommorow and let you know.

One note about GIMP PRint - you also have to install Ghostscript. Ghostscript is not needed for Panther.

Dave
Roger Jönsson
16 years ago
HI Dave,

Are you using a Laser printer?
If not, maybe that is the reason that the printer start directly, OSX doesn't have draw the whole page before starting printing. On a laser it has to draw the whole page, feed it all to the printer, before printing.

I have the same 30-40s delay when printing a pdf page through with OSX "preview".

Printing with my Epson SC 740 it starts nearly directly and then feeds it with data during printing. Ink printers selldom has much buffer RAM...

It may very well be the printer that have problems with the data OSX/OKI driver sends to it, slowing down the printing making it accept data slowly. Maybe the driver is a bunch of crap.

I'm going to upgrade to Panther and then try out MACgimp and one of the HP driver that is supposed to function.
Jonas Möller Nielsen
16 years ago
Hi

I do not have much to come with, but I recommend that you get a printer spoller if you do not already have one.

The printer spooler is a small device that you mount directly on the printers parallell port. The printer spoler is then connected to the computer NETWORK (Ethernet) with an ordinary Ethernet cable, via a switch or hubb.

The advantage is that the speed through the Ethernt normally is much faster, 100 Mbit/s than the USB. Especially if you are using USB 1.1.
Another advantage is that the printer spooler contains much more memory than the printer itself. This means that the computer finnishes much quicker. The spooler takes over and feeds the printer with what is left.
A third advantage is that ALL computers in the network get easy access to the same printer. You do not need to change cables or switch on a special computer as a printer server.
The printer spooler is very easy to set up, cheap, and works well also with Atari-computer, Mac OSX and Windows XP. It is a little tricky to get working on the PC if you do not know how to do it. Hades with MiNT98 and Mas-OSX takes aproximately 5 minutes. The configuration is done with a web-browser, like CAB for example.

If you have big documents or several computers in a network, I strongly recommend a printer spooler. Costs aproximately € 80 or less.

Jonas Möller Nielsen
Sweden
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Roger

I still can't print from Panther. Which is to say I can't print A2 files of over 100 Megs. And yes, my printer is an Ink Jet.

I don't recomend the 10.3.2 update - Stick with 10.3. There are bugs in the update - and this has nothing to do with MagiCMac - It's not as good. Hopefully the next update will nstraighten things out.

Since my only problems with printing are as described I would imagine you will have no additional problems. MM is much faster with Panther then Jaguar. You might however as a precaution, partition your drive and leave Jaguar on one partition...

Dave
David Barkin
16 years ago
Hi Jonas

Your description of a Prioter Spooler is quite accurate but for THIS particuler Inkjet, not relevant. The serial speed on the 3000 is over 1 million - Making a spooler not necessary. Up unitl I switched to 10.3 the printer would print at maximum speed. And yes, I do have USB 2.0. The printer is faster then the interface. In this case a printer spooler is overkill -

Dave
Bernd
Canon, bjc-55 OSX driver
16 years ago
Hi,
Is there anybody out there who knows something about an OSX driver for Canon BJC-55 bubble jet printer ?
I own this fantastic small device but I didn´t found a OSX driver, there is only a classic-driver available.
Or is there somebody who can write a OSX-driver application ?

cheers

Bernd
David Barkin
16 years ago
Without having checked - have you tried GIMP Print?

Dave
Godefroy de MAUPEOU
Re: MagicMacX/calamus speed
15 years ago
I have :
1 EPSON 9600
1 G5 dual 2,2GHz with Panther

I Had :
1 PC ATHLON 1,4GHz with Windows 2000

The printing of a A2 withe Calamus with G5 ist very very very slow. With the ATHLON it was "minima" 10 times faster.

I don't understand why, because the other operations with Calamus are faster under G5.

Is it normal ?

Godefroy
15 years ago
Hello Godefroy,

Do all the programs on your G5 print this slow? On my iMac G3/500, most documents from most programs print anything from 'not very fast' to extremelys slow (30 minutes for an A4 paper)

- Paul Pasveer
David Barkin
15 years ago
Panther has problems with printing. I actually installed a separate partition on my machine and loaded Jaguar into it. When I need to print I boot from Jaguar. Hopefully they'll work this out because Calamus runs faster on Panther then Jaguar.

Pauls suggestion is very good because printing from Calamus is merely a reflection of printing with Panther - Some printers work, others do not.

Dave
Godefroy de MAUPEOU
15 years ago
Hello Paul,

I have found why. My Calamus was not properly installed. I had mist some "*.lib".
Now it's run perfekt.

The only Problem that I have is the right Click. I does'nt run (f15 or other). Is a big Problem to edit the "Regel".

Godefroy
15 years ago
Hello,
> Panther has problems with printing. I actually installed a
> separate partition on my machine and loaded Jaguar into it.
> When I need to print I boot from Jaguar. Hopefully they'll work
> this out because Calamus runs faster on Panther then Jaguar.

> Pauls suggestion is very good because printing from Calamus is
> merely a reflection of printing with Panther - Some printers
> work, others do not.

Well, two things have so far kept me from switching to OSX: the dramatic speed loss of Calamus and the really poor printer support in OSX. So far I really can't find where I can decrease the margins when printing on my Epson C82 or any other Epson printer I have. Both my Mita laserprinter and my RISO with a RIP have larger margins (so less printing surface) on both OSX and Win XP than with OS9. And I can't find a way to change this. And printing times are expensive in coffee ;-)
Otherwise, OSX works very fine. I'll wait a few upgrade-rounds of both Calamus and Apple and then switch. In the mean time, I'l be working with OS9, OSX, Win XP, MagicMac, MagicMacX and my Linux server.......

- Paul
Roger Jönsson
15 years ago
Hi,
Godefroy. Long time no talk...
Everything is OK, down there?

Calamus on OSX is considerably slower than on OS8/9. Printing is several times slower. You can speed printing up if you return to OSX desktop after Calamus is finished calculating the print. Sometimes printing is more than 40% faster this way! It seems like when Magic is on top the Printing, in the background, is not accessing full processing power.

Mouse problem:
I use a standard Logitech threebutton mouse.
I set the right button to F13 (in the Logitech driver) and in MagicMacX right mousebutton is assigned to F13 in the settings/allgemeines: Rechte Maustaste = F13

It took me quite a while to figure out how to solve it!
But now it works lika charm.

A small MagicMacX read me file, in English, would have been appropriate and helpful (and not too hard to write...). Just the basic functions. After all we are paying for the product...
David Barkin
15 years ago
I'm a bit puzzle3d by the mouse problem. I use a Kensington two button mouse and to right clikc I right click, There's a dialogue in the preferences which allows you to use the capabilities of the Mac Mouse if it has mnore then one button. I set these preferences in the Kensington program.

So I don't need to use the F key for right click - MM recognises the right click option set in the Kensinton program and MM allowes me to use the settings set in THAT program.

Dave
Godefroy de MAUPEOU
15 years ago
Hi Roger,

How are you to ? What are you doing now ?
After many years not simply all is OK now.

About the Mouse. It was F15 selected but it does'nt run. I have change it for F13 and it's running OK.

If you want to print faster, you must have many memory for MAC OS. I have 1Go : 500 Mo for Calamus and 500 Mo for MAC OSX and the print is at the same speed with Calamus in foreground oder background.

The ripping of a big picture (1,10m x 1,50m for exemple) is very faster under Photoshop. Some time it's more speed to print a TIFF with TIFPRINT und print this TIFF with Photoshop.

Godefroy
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 2 on April 24, 2019
Record Number of Guests: 126 on November 04, 2019

top top

© 1998–2019 invers Software. All rights reserved. | Privacy