invers Software

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

MGI Calamus for Windows95

Posted by Will Meyerriecks 
Will Meyerriecks
MGI Calamus for Windows95
19 years ago
I bought Calamus for Windows95 a number of years ago, but never got around to using it. Previously, I had great results using Calamus on an Atari ST. I will be doing some publishing soon, and I am debating if I should install and use Calamus for Windows95, or use something like Word instead. I suppose my questions are:

1) is Calamus for Windows95 stable in Windows98?
2) does the "stock" version have many bugs?
3) is there any support, or bug fixes, etc. for it?
4) are any of the expansion modules still available for it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Ulf Dunkel
Re: MGI Calamus for Windows95
19 years ago
Hi Will.

If you used Calamus on an Atari - was ist the b&w version 1.09(N) or was it an SL version already?

1) is Calamus for Windows95 stable in Windows98?

Who knows ... ? ;-)) Calamus Win95 is no longer supported or developed.

I recommend you better try the SL2000 WindowsPack version on your PC. You will get the current Atari SL2000 version plug'n'play on Windows. It has many new features, modules and drivers. Just give it a try.

[www.calamus.net]
Ottar Johansen
19 years ago
I have been using C95 for many years, under w95, w98 and now have installed it on my new w2000 machine. It works very well on all, basically very stable. I use it professionally, and can get colour separations from local printing shops.

It has a very good selection of modules, many of which must be bought separately and expensively with Calamus SL. It will import text and graphichs in many formats, text best in ascii or rtf. Newer versions of word is not supported, you have to save in ver. 2.

I have found two serious bugs: the text editor crashes sometimes when tranferring text from editor to frame. Some italic ttf-fons will not load and defaults to arial. Otherwise C95 is very similar to CSL, only more stable, very fast, lightning fast on modern machines. As far as I know, there is at present no support, and no modules available. A pity!

You shold try it! Good luck!

Ottar I bought Calamus for Windows95 a number of years ago, but never got around to using it. Previously, I had great results using Calamus on an Atari ST. I will be doing some publishing soon, and I am debating if I should install and use Calamus for Windows95, or use something like Word instead. I suppose my questions are:1) is Calamus for Windows95 stable in Windows98?
4) are any of the expansion modules still available for it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Will Meyerriecks
19 years ago
I used the B&W 1.09 version, running on a 520 w/2.5MB RAM and an 85MB hard disk, with a 16MHz processor upgrade. It was GREAT! That was in 1991 or so, and among other things, I published 4 editions of a 32-page newsletter, complete with ads, vector & bitmap graphics, text effects, etc. A few photos were scanned, but most were (old-fashioned method) "waxed in" the layout masters. All printed on a 300 DPI HP Deskjet printer too. Now THOSE were the days...

(smiling smiley

Hi Will.
If you used Calamus on an Atari - was ist the b&w version 1.09(N) or was it an SL version already?

1) is Calamus for Windows95 stable in Windows98? Who knows ... ? ;-)) Calamus Win95 is no longer supported or developed.

I recommend you better try the SL2000 WindowsPack version on your PC. You will get the current Atari SL2000 version plug'n'play on Windows. It has many new features, modules and drivers. Just give it a try.
[www.calamus.net]
Will Meyerriecks
19 years ago
Thanks for the encouraging words... and I'll watch out for the text-transfer bug too. A looonnnggg time ago I learned "save frequently!"

Having had a few days to think about this since my original post, I have decided to go with C95. Worse comes to worse, I can always export what I create and import into something awful, like Word. I shudder at the very thought though...

Side note: I have an older PC running Gemulator. Maybe down the road I might move that board into my current (fast) PC, and get CSL...

(smiling smiley

I have been using C95 for many years, under w95, w98 and now have installed it on my new w2000 machine. It works very well on all, basically very stable. I use it professionally, and can get colour separations from local printing shops.
It has a very good selection of modules, many of which must be bought separately and expensively with Calamus SL. It will import text and graphichs in many formats, text best in ascii or rtf. Newer versions of word is not supported, you have to save in ver. 2.
I have found two serious bugs: the text editor crashes sometimes when tranferring text from editor to frame. Some italic ttf-fons will not load and defaults to arial. Otherwise C95 is very similar to CSL, only more stable, very fast, lightning fast on modern machines. As far as I know, there is at present no support, and no modules available. A pity! You shold try it! Good luck! Ottar I bought Calamus for Windows95 a number of years ago, but never got around to using it. Previously, I had great results using Calamus on an Atari ST. I will be doing some publishing soon, and I am debating if I should install and use Calamus for Windows95, or use something like Word instead. I suppose my questions are:1) is Calamus for Windows95 stable in Windows98?
4) are any of the expansion modules still available for it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Ulf Dunkel
Calamus W95 or SL2000?
19 years ago
Hi there.
Having had a few days to think about this since my original post, I have decided to go with C95. Worse comes to worse, I can always export what I create and import into something awful, like Word. I shudder at the very thought though...

We are working on a new RTF output driver for Calamus SL2000. Maybe you give it a chance on your PC - without GEMulator, of course! The SL2000 WindowsPack works fine.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 2 on April 24, 2019
Record Number of Guests: 126 on November 04, 2019

top top

© 1998–2019 invers Software. All rights reserved. | Privacy